Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Personal Review of East of Eden

Andrea Buchanan

Ms. Sanchez

AP Language and Composition, Period 0

15 March 2010

Blog Topic #5: Personal Review

John Steinbeck’s novel, East of Eden, surprisingly please me. I did have apprehensions about reading this book because I was not a big fan of John Steinbeck’s writing. However, after reading this novel, I can truly say that I would read another one of his novels. His language was appropriate and easy to understand. The words and sentences flowed with such natural placement that provided a sense of understanding. The variety of figurative language devices added to the overall imagery greatly. Each character was described in a way that evoked emotion and made me feel for each one individually. The descriptive language was accurately used and was so perfectly placed that even emotions could be described through similes, not just actions. Steinbeck’s satirical tone added a sense of humor that made the six hundred and two pages of the novel enjoyable to read. I thought it was unique that the entire novel was written as a parallel of the Book of Genesis, and although it was obvious and easy to figure out the text connection, it did not act as a detracting point of the novel. I felt that using the story of Cain and Abel and the fall of Adam and Eve as the main story line throughout the novel gave it familiarity and made it relatable. The message of the importance of love and its power over the decisions of good and evil were portrayed in an understandable tone by the author. I enjoyed reading this book and am most pleased that Steinbeck’s satirical tone prevails to leave the reader with the ultimate message for how to over come the pains of good and evil: timshel, meaning thou mayest, and leaving the choice of thou mayest not.

3 comments:

  1. I thought the exact same thing about his imagery! My favorite passage in the book was on page 4, the one describing the flowers, river, and trees. It was just so eloquent and made me fully believe I was the child he was talking about who found a harebell flower.
    Like you, I also liked how it followed the story of Adam and Eve, although I almost wish he had given it another ending, as in how it would have worked out if Cal had rethought his actions before doing them, almost as if to show people can change. I guess that wouldn't be Steinbeck's message he wanted though. What do you think?
    I also wanted to know what you disliked about the writing before you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would have been a better, more unpredictable ending, if Caleb had rethought his actions. It definitely would have shown how people can change for the better if they really try too. Even though it would not have been the message Steinbeck was trying to portray to his readers, it would have been an added bonus :) Before East of Eden, I had read Of Mice and Men and I did not care for that book because the writing, in my opinion, was not very descriptive or imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you mentioned Steinbeck's emphasis on the idea of Timshel and how it can be interpreted as either Thou Mayest or Thou Mayest Not. I think it is a vital element of the novel that can be easily overlooked. It is one of those messages that contains a lot of depth upon further investigation/close reading. Timshel fundamentally concerns the freedom of the individual to choose their own destiny. As Lee pleads Adam who is on his deathbed to forgive his miscreant son, he exclaims, "Let him be free. That's all a man has over the beasts"(600). Adam's last utterance upon perishing is, "Timshel!"(601).
    Timshel can be interpreted as either thou mayest or thou mayest not (as mentioned before), so ultimately the reader is left to question whether or not Adam actually forgave his son or not. What do you think? A prominent theme/motif I found in the novel was the father as a deity as first seen when Adam realizes Cyrus is not perfect. Steinbeck narrates that, "When a child first catches adults out... The gods are fallen and all safety gone"(19). If the father figure is akin to God in the story, then Adam's mention of Timshel may have a double meaning. It could be Steinbeck's intention that this is meant to show how the Lord gives man the control to make decisions on his own and how he gave Adam and Eve this same choice (with disastrous consequences).

    ReplyDelete